Charles Gobron – Supt. of Schools
Mike Gorman – Facilities Mgr.
Alan Steinman – Owner, Alan Steinman Landscaping
John Barry – Student Council Advisor
Susan Halpin - Teacher
Connor Gillis - Student
Rose Giorlandicco – Student
- An account is being set up for this project. Student Council will oversee the account.
- Various sources of funding are being pursued by Charles and John. Hopefully these sources will be clarified soon and we will have a more definite idea of what we can accomplish in the short term.
- There is money enough for us to order the lumber and soil for the work days coming up this week.
- Shirley Lundberg has offered her help with this project. She & Susan will be working together to coordinate work, volunteers and community support.
- Shirley is investigating the possibility of having some of the students involved in the Assabet Valley Regional Vocational Technical School trade classes to help us with this project, for example drafting a revised master garden plan (that includes some of the new ideas like vegetable gardens), also constructing a gazebo and a brick walkway. ARHS would pay for all materials.
- Thanks to the custodians, Alan Steinman and Connor Gillis for marking out where the beds will be placed in this very large area.
- There are a total of 7 raised beds, (2) are 3 x 14, and (5) are 5 x 14 with a round bed in the center.
- We were pleasantly surprised at the quality of the soil that is in the area of the raised beds. The closest area to the building (d corridor side) the soil is very good, the further away the soil gets a little sandier. We will try to match plant variety to the soil type.\
- Alan & Mike also tested the drainage of this area.
Thursday 4/2 Work Day 2:30pm – 5pm
- Our hope is to build the boxes during the work day on Thurs if we have enough adult help to supervise. We also will be digging out around the beds so that the lumber can be inserted into the ground. If you are attending the workday, please bring a shovel or 2.
- Right now we have 12 National Honor Society volunteers as well as volunteers from CLEANARHS, and other interested students.
Saturday, 4/4 Work Day 8AM-Noon
- Soil and compost are being delivered. We will need each volunteer to bring a wheel barrel to wheel it all from the parking lot, into the building for a short distance and out to the courtyard. Please bring a wheel barrel and shovels with you if you are volunteering.
- Right now we have 8 NHS volunteers as well as volunteers from CLEANARHS and other interested students.
can be found here: http://www.nsboro.k12.ma.us/algonquin/courtyard/3-30-4-4.htm